Monday, February 15, 2010

Still working...

On getting my birth story from Samirah written up.. It's slow going around here lately with lots and lots going on!!

However- There is another subject that is near and dear to my heart that I'd like to blog about! BREASTFEEDING! WOo! Who else besides me could be so passionate about the subject? It's my dream to become a lactation consultant when I'm done having children and they are all grown.. I will get there one day! Right now my most important place is in the home. But I do everything I can for breastfeeding advocacy. I'm a paid up member of LLL and I attend meetings regularly .. I've found a lot of support there where others have turned me away. Such as my doctors. I really feel the medical community fails us as women in this area.. Not only this area... But especially this area.. (As well as the big to do they make about giving birth which is a natural thing) That's a whole other blog though!!

I currently nurse my 22 month old son and my 1 month old daughter. I fully believe on nursing until 2 years (The WHO's reccomendation) and as long after that as mother and child mutually desire. There are so many health benefits to mother and child why WOULDN'T you nurse?!?!?! Cancer risks reduced in mother and child, fewer ear infections (My first little one just had her first ear infection and she's 4!!) There are so many health benefits the list could go on and on- But you could google that and see over and over again breast is undisputed the best for every baby.

When I got pregnant with Samirah there wasn't a doubt in my mind I'd continue to nurse Sami.. Her pregnancy was my first "surprise" I never got a period back so I assumed my fertility hadn't returned. But 1 month after Sami turned 1 I had feelings that I could be pregnant _ And I was :-D A wonderful surprise- But I was commited to continuing to nurse Sami. For the first 5 months of my pregnancy it was easy and FINE! No problems. Around 6 months I was bigger, more tired, and more sensitive and it got tougher. But I promised myself and him I would carry on.. Now.. IT was at one of my LLL meetings another mother suggested setting boundries when I expressed how exhausted I was and sometimes I just wanted to say NO but felt so guilty. Setting boundries allowed me to continue nursing all the way to delivery day!!

I nursed Sami before I went to the hospital. I was having contractions and I knew that was "it" ..I went to the hospital THursday night after I nursed Sami and put him to bed for the night. Samirah was born Friday morning at 2:15 am. I missed Sami so bad and I felt awful leaving him all day Friday without me. It was the first time we were ever apart. So first thing Saturday morning I asked my midwife to discharge me a day early. I had a completely natural water birth so of course there were no problems with me going home early which was wonderful.

I anticipated seeing Sam the whole drive home! He was waiting at the window for me and I could see his excitement! I walked through the door and we hugged and we were both thinking the same thing "NUR NUR MA!" he said. I said you betcha! We sat right there on the living room floor and nursed!!

Now I have an awesome nursing relationship going on.. It can be tiring at times.. But are my kids worth it?? You bet!!!!

What are YOUR thoughts on the subject of extended and/or tandem nursing?

1 comment:

  1. I'm still nursing Jacob and he's 18 months. =) I love every moment of it. There have been a few times when I just felt done, but Lord knows I really wasn't. lol. I get questioned all the time about me nursing him at 18 months and "what about when he's 2?" and I feel that when HE is done, then that'll be it. =( and honestly, I don't know if I will be ready for that day. He loves to nurse, I'm sure it's mostly for comfort or to just be close to me because sometimes he nurses as much as he did when he was little. I love to look into his sweet eyes and rub my fingers through his blonde hair as he's nursing. He says "durse" when he wants to nurse and I get him to say please now and it's just so sweet.
    I've already decided that IF I get pregnant before he's weaned himself, I'll continue on and learn how to do the tandem nursing thing.
    I have become VERY big on nursing and try to get others to nurse and jump the beginning nursing hurdles and push forward. I can proudly say Jacob hasn't ever had a drop of formula. Wish I had all this breastfeeding knowledge with Juliana.

    ReplyDelete