Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"I need a break"




So I was reading through posts on cafemom today.. Mainly in my Breastfeeding Group.. And I see yet another "this kid is always attached to me I really want to quit nursing so I can have some time to myself" type of post.. And I just can't answer them.. I don't get it. Am I the only Mom who totally loves having my kids always with me!?!? I mean .. Sami is nearly 2.. And the first time we spent apart is when I was in the hospital giving birth to his sister. I always LOVE using breastfeeding as an excuse to not leave my kids anywhere! It works wonders!! "Sorry.. can't leave them with you- What if they have to nurse?!"

So I'm always taken aback when I read these posts of Mom's who so desprately want to be away from thier babies for a bit or they feel like they will lose thier minds.. I don't know. It makes me kind of sad. I'm a very attached parent. Which doesn't mean my kids don't get on my nerves every now and then. But I feel locking myself in the bathroom for a few minutes does the trick to bring me back down. I hate the idea of them being away from me!!! Nadia, who is 4 sometimes spends a few hours out shopping with my Dad.. Because, you know, me and Daddy aren't as "fun" and I always miss her! I'm like.. Man! I wish Nadia was here with us! It feels totally UNATURAL for me to be seperated for my kids. I swear! Even going in the shower without oNE of them feels totally strange and foreign to me. I don't know if it's the quiet of it.. I don't know..

Maybe I"m the oddball? I just thought it was a natural mothering instinct to constantly want to be near your kids. Hmph. Thank goodness I have an understanding hubby- becase, as you can imagine we haven't been on a date in years. *sighs* he'll get a chance one of these days :-P

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're an oddball. I think that some people have a stronger mothering instinct than others. I want a break sometimes, but only because my kids get upset when I take a shower (whether they're in it with me or not). I don't like hearing them cry and I do what I can to comfort them. My husband is deployed at the moment, and I'd rather sleep with both of them lying in bed (or on the couch) with me than sleep alone. This goes for most days when he's here, too, but it happens more often when he isn't here.

    ReplyDelete