Tuesday, July 6, 2010

You can never be too careful...



When it comes to your kids.
Now. Many people in my life think I'm completely neurotic when it comes to my children. I've heard the word "overprotective" thrown around.. "overbearing" etc. etc. You get the point. Sometimes I lay in bed at night and worry. Worry about things that will probably never go wrong or be an issue, but still, I worry. I can't help it. I don't feel like I'm doing my job if I'm not worrying, or trying to keep them safe.

Seeing all these children on the news being snatched is horribly upsetting for me to see. It's SCARY to be quite honest. and it's another thing to add to my list of things I worry about. One reason I feel safest wearing my babies. They are hard to snatch when they are strapped to your chest.

There are kids Nadia's age in the neighborhood who are allowed to play outside alone. Nadia always asks if she can go. NO WAY. "But.." she says " ((insert name here)) can play outside by themselves" Me... "Well ((insert name here)) doesn't have me for a Mommy, I dont' let you go away from me" .. And I think to myself. Aren't those parents worried?? Aren't they afraid of something awful happening? Not just abductions but any other number of dangers that lurk. I don't know. Maybe I am neurotic.. But I dont' understand how kids that are 5, 6, 7 , 8, 9, 10 ... Even up to 16 or 17 are allowed out unsupervised. I know I know some won't agree with me there. But honestly I like to live by the motto "Better safe than sorry" I know accidents and bad things can happen when your RIGHT NEXT to your child. So why would I take a chance at letting them away from me?? I have a hard time even letting Nadia go to school. It's tough.

I wonder. Will I lighten up at any point? How do you feel?

2 comments:

  1. I don't let my kids play outside on their own really. I mean, I'll let them play on the front patio while I run inside to grab a towel or whatever, but never for more than a moment and only because the front patio isn't visible from the street or sidewalk.

    The one that I don't understand is when parents let young kids roam unsupervised in stores. I don't care how mature your 8 yr old is, their is no reason for him to be loitering, alone, in Target! Or the parents who drop their 10/11/12 yr old off at the mall or movie theatre with some cash and a "call me when you get done!"

    I don't hover and I don't helicopter parent but I'm aware of the danger and try to be aware of my kids. I also try to make them aware, not to frighten them but so that they are educated and prepared to take care of themselves when the time does come.

    ReplyDelete